From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Vladimir Prus
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 11:33 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Rebuilding managed build project on properties change

Hello!

At the moment, when I change properties of a managed make project, a
rebuild
is automatically initiated. Unfortunately, that does not help when I,
for
example, change compiler options, because make is not capable of
detecting
when command line options change.

As result, user might end up with binaries that no longer correspond to
project properties.

I see two solutions to this problem:

- Adding dependency from all targets to all makefiles
- Automatically cleaning project when properties change

The first approach looks a bit problematic for me, as getting right
dependencies if there are several directories can be tricky.

The second approach is not so hard to implement, and the attached patch
implements it. However, I wanted to discuss one point before adding this

patch to bugzilla. At the moment, clean is done unconditionally. The
motivation is to be on the safe side. Does this look OK? Should the code

pop-up a dialog asking if project should be cleaned? That can please
power-users, but the dialog can quickly become annoying.

Thanks,
Volodya

Back to the top