Re: [cdt-dev] CElements adapting to IResource

The thing to be careful about is object contributions.  The extension point
for them has an "isAdaptable" flag or something like that (I forget the
exact details), that allows your action to show up for any object adaptable
to IResource.  If you change this, then such actions won't show up for
translation units etc.  It is pretty common for a lot of tools to provide
their actions this way.  E.g., a Team provider would generally need to
operate on any kind of file in the workspace, so I would expect them to use
this method to provide source control actions.

I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to have the the adaptation only
work for the implementors of ICElement that make sense to adapt to
IResource.  There is nothing saying that every ICElement has to allow the
adaptation.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             "Schorn, Markus"
             <Markus.Schorn@wi
             ndriver.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             23/08/2006 05:37          [cdt-dev] CElements adapting to
             AM                        IResource

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hi,
currently most of the CElements can be adapted to IResources. This makes
perfectly sense for translation units, folders or projects. However, it
is problematic for others as the context menu of classes, functions,
vars,
etc. gets populated with actions that apply for files, only.
For example select a function in the CView and choose 'Delete' from
the context menu. This deletes the entire file.

I plan to change that. Doing so it is possible that I break code that
obtains the enclosing resource from an ICElement by means of the
adaptable
mechanism rather than using a direct call to ICElement.getResource().
I believe we have enough time until 4.0 to find all related problems and

fix them.

Is that ok for you?
Markus.