RE: [cdt-dev] Minutes Indexer Call

I am open to trying different approaches as well.  We can always do a bit
of prototyping and see what the performance is actually like.  The term RCP
is a very loose one and sometimes people get different notions of what it
means.

We definitely won't be operating in a vaccuum.  We'll let you all know what
we're up to.  If we end up making some very large changes we will probably
try doing that work on a branch so we don't destabilize things too much.
That way if some of our ideas don't pan out we can always discard them
easily.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             21/07/2006 12:05          RE: [cdt-dev] Minutes Indexer Call
             PM

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

O.K. Just sounds like your creating a lot of work for yourself that will
duplicate what the frameworks around the indexer already do. RCP apps
aren't
meant to be expensive (eRCP is a case in point).

The more difficult questions that you need to address are how do you get
the
index information to the development host in a timely fashion to satisfy
things like content assist? Where do you get the build information from?
How
do you handle resource deltas? Etc. It's a cool challenge and I hope you
succeed. Just don't break anything :).

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems
Eclipse CDT Project Lead, Tools PMC member
http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com