Re: [cdt-dev] Suggestions for supporting debug of 64-bit PowerPC C/C++ programs under Eclipse

Thanks for the reply, Mikhail.

I have been experimenting with using the 32-bit Eclipse + CDT on a 64-bit program and have been pleasantly surprised that with a modified launch config that the debugging has so far been flawless in supporting both 32- and 64-bit types.

Seeing that this works well, my goal now is to change the CDT in a way to support debugging these 64-bit programs from a 32-bit Eclipse + CDT so that there is no special configuration necessary.

To this end, I've been looking at using the JNI to make a call (on Unix-like platforms) to the system call uname() to get the underlying machine type, rather than rely on the arch property that Java thinks the machine is.

Besides the usual cross-platform issues with the JNI, are the other CDT or Eclipse special considerations that I should have in mind as I work on this?

Thanks for your consideration

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
503-578-3507
cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxx

Mikhail Khodjiants wrote:
> Corey,
>
> As you mentioned, the problem is Linux/GTK related. I have no > information if
> anyone is using this configuration on a 64-bit machine. In general, CDT
> supports 64-bit addresses and there are people who use CDT on 64-bit
> machines, but I don't know details.
> As for the Platform.getOSArch() method, it's a question to Java folks. A
> workaround could be a special launch configuration, but I don't think > it's a
> good solution.
>
> Mikhail Khodjaiants

Back to the top