RE: [cdt-dev] Beyond CDT 3.1

Alright I'll put together my thoughts and will post something late this
week/early next.  Nothing is definite yet, I'm just putting the idea in
everyone's minds.  I need to go over our IBM TODO list and see which of our
need dates line up with the end of this year (when a hypothetical 3.2 would
happen) and which line up with 4.0.

The driver for a 3.2 from IBM's point of view would be our own content that
we would be looking to contribute.  A year is a long time to not be able to
deliver/consume any new features (which you can't do in a service release
as per the Eclipse rules).  If anyone else had features they wanted to
contribute, they would be welcome to tag along.

If we do decide to do a 3.2 we'll have to decide soon, otherwise HEAD will
quickly get polluted with 4.0 work.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             28/06/2006 08:48          RE: [cdt-dev] Beyond CDT 3.1
             AM

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Cool. Yes that would be a good topic. I don't think we have enough
resources
to do another release before next June. I'm certainly not interested in
participating in one (just to give a flavour of where that conversation
will
go :). I'll be spending a lot of time on 3.1.1 to get the PDOM into better
shape and that will probably lead to a 3.1.2 and so on. The items we have
for 4.0 are pretty big and won't fit in a smaller release cycle.

Not everyone is going to be on the call, so please make your proposal here.

Thanks,
Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems
Eclipse CDT Project Lead, Tools PMC member
http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com