Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:51:02 +0200
From: Enrico Ehrich <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [cdt-dev] Linker must be the target Tool ?
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

I see you are busy with the RC3 release but I have something to ask,
sorry ;)

Actually I'm creating a little managed builder plugin for an ARM gcc to
use for an embedded system (Nintendo DS).
I don't want spent allot time on this, because I do this in my spare
time and simply want use and share it.
So I though I can use the usual gnu MBS which is included in the CDT.
That was easier as I though so a made a
new plugin and inherited the buildDefinitions from
org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.gnu.ui and added my special options etc..

The problem I had was, that I need some additional build steps by
default as the predefined: cpp,cc,as,ld I need to convert the linked ELF
file to an absolute code file and then convert it to a special ROM file
with header and so on.
Therefor I added 2 more tools with options, input/outputTypes and set
the "targetTool" to the last tool and the extension to the final file
extension (e.g. *.nds) in the toolChain.

So it worked well but one thing is not working as I guessed:
The static link libraries (-l) and additional object files does not
appear in the autogenerated objects.mk file.
I analysed it and found that the makefile generator class search for
this special "libs" and "userObj" valueTypes in the "targetTool". But my
targetTool is not the linker!!
I don't want write my own MBS thats too much work. Now I made the
workaround that the libs are added as usual stringList to the command
line. The same with the other objects but I have to take care about the
order.
But I think thats not the right way.

I simply wanted to ask if this problem is known ? Or I missed something
and it works using some other tricks ?
It would be nice if this scenario will be supported in future releases
of CDT.

ciao
Enrico

Back to the top