From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Treggiari, Leo
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 1:33 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Recommendations on further CDT plug-in
enhancements

Hi Matthias,

>Currently my MDS plug-in generates Makefile in the default locations,
ie
>Debug and Release directories. We have several different compilers with
>different configurations so we usually build under a subdirectory, ie
>Eclipse/Debug and Eclipse/Release.

I'm not sure that I understand your requirement.  MBS supports multiple
configurations and each configuration can use a different tool-chain.
The user can assign the names of the configurations - debug & release
are just the common defaults.  For building, MBS creates a sub-directory
of the project folder with the name of the configuration.
Unfortunately, this part of the builder behavior is not currently
customizable - i.e. where the build occurs, the makefile names, etc.
You should enter a bugzilla enhancement request describing what you need
- but I can't guarantee it would be addressed anytime soon...

>In addition to the path change above I'd like to be able to support
>multiple targets in a project. Some of our projects have multiple c/cpp
>files each of which have their own main and are meant to be built into
>separate executable. I may be able to move these files into separate
>subdirectories and use the default MBS behavior of one exe per project
>but I'd like to at least explore the possibility of adding multiple
>managed targets per project. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I
>could accomplish this?

This is part of the "new project model" proposal in bugzilla 115935.
Specifically, see comment #15.  I don't expect that this will be an easy
change to implement.

Regards,
Leo

Currently my MDS plug-in generates Makefile in the default locations, ie
Debug and Release directories. We have several different compilers with
different configurations so we usually build under a subdirectory, ie
Eclipse/Debug and Eclipse/Release.

In order to have my plug-in support building in such a subdirectory I
will need to feed the makefile generator a new path so that it can
create the appropriate directory structure and modify the value of the
ROOT variable for the generated makefiles. Can anyone recommend the
correct/easiest way to do this? Will I need to write my own
IManagedBuilderMakefileGenerator or can I accomplish this some other
way?

In addition to the path change above I'd like to be able to support
multiple targets in a project. Some of our projects have multiple c/cpp
files each of which have their own main and are meant to be built into a
separate executable. I may be able to move these files into separate
subdirectories and use the default MBS behavior of one exe per project
but I'd like to at least explore the possibility of adding multiple
managed targets per project. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I
could accomplish this?

Thanks for the input,
Mtthias