[cdt-dev] Ctags question

Title: Ctags question

Hi - We are using Ctags Indexer as the default indexer in our product and I've noticed a few pecularities I was hoping someone might clarify.

When the CTags indexer is enabled, it gets kicked off any time a project resource has changed. The side effect is that it clears the console each time it gets invoked. This wouldn’t be such a big deal but during our build process we generate source files at the start of the build that wind up being indexed. What happens is that the indexer notices a resource change and kicks off a new indexer thread and the console is cleared in the middle of the build. Hence, you can't see the full build output.

Looking at the code I removed the call to the process that kicks off the 'ctags' application (CTagsIndexRunner.indexFile(Ifile file)) - in fact I removed the whole function.

This cured my console refresh problem and yet I still get F3 navigation and code completion working after creating a new project.

Another issue with this is that we've had some customers report the error in the error view:

CTagsIndexMarker.CTagsMissing=CTags not installed or not in path

Maybe due to the fact that they don't have cygwin installed (we are exclusively on Win32).
My first hunch is to remove the need to call 'ctags' on the command-line as a separate process because it looks like it will work fine without it.

Could someone clarify how this works and if the command call to ctags executable is necessary?

Cheers,
Tim Kelly
Nokia Developer Tools

Back to the top