Re: [cdt-dev] Mixed C/C++ in MBS

>>>>> "Duane" == Duane Ellis <duane_ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Duane> My view is this: The PROJECT TYPE declares the linker type to use.

One thing to think about is project evolution.  Suppose you have a "C"
project and then add a C++ file to it.  Will the CDT need a UI to
change the project type?  Or will the user have to know how to edit
.cdtproject by hand?  (I hadn't even heard of the "both" thing until I
saw Doug's recent email...)

An alternative to this approach is to let languages decide the linker,
and then let the user explicitly decide -- as a fallback in case the
various language plugins can't agree.

This "just works" in the usual cases of mixing C and some other
language.

Duane> In my view, the user has selected wrong. They actually have a mixed
Duane> C/C++ project, and should have created a C++ project that has no C++
Duane> files.

My experience in Eclipse is that these kinds of mistakes are pretty
hard to fix once you've made them.  I've always felt uncomfortable
editing .project and whatnot.

Tom

Back to the top