RE: [cdt-dev] Mixed C/C++ in MBS

I’m not sure I agree with that argument. Mixed C and C++ projects are common in the embedded world since people are still slowly migrating to C++ as memory requirements ease and want to use some legacy C files in their new C++ projects. These people would expect there to be two tools listed since there is a culture that these are two very different languages. I don’t think the confusion would be an issue in this market.

We are getting a lot of bug reports on this, more than I’d expect from the potential confusion on having both tools listed in the properties. This confusion could be minimized by having the C++ tool listed first. I vote to turn the C compiler on for C++ projects. Of course, you have the right to veto.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Treggiari, Leo
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:04 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Mixed C/C++ in MBS

I think the biggest problem with this approach is that most projects will be using only C++ sources or only C sources, but the user will see 2 compilers on the property page - or maybe they’ll only notice one – hopefully, the correct one…  We could only display a tool if the project contained (or generated) a corresponding resource.  It’s the “generated” case that’s a bit of work.  Currently, I think we only figure that out during makefile generation.

Regards,

Leo