RE: [cdt-dev] Assembly Syntax Highlight

The short answer is that you can't.  You will have to modify the
assembly editor to provide a mechanism to extend the syntax
highlighting.  This has been something we've been wanting to do for a
while but no one has had the time to pursue.

On the bright side, because we've been talking about it for so long, we
will happily accept patches that implement such system :-)  (Not that we
don't welcome patches in general of course.)

I would suggest that if you are serious about wanting to pursue this you
draft up an initial design for how you want the system to work and
submit it to Bugzilla for feedback.

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer
Texas Instruments, Toronto
http://eclipse.org/cdt

On
> Behalf Of Alex Yin
> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:42 PM
> To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Assembly Syntax Highlight
>
> Hi Jerome,
>
> The short answer is "yes", since the work is based on CDT. When we
release
> our product to customers, we will also make it open source.
>
> But the first thing I am worrying right now is to figure out how to
> implement such a feature. When an assembly file (with extension .asm
or
> .s)
> is loaded in the editor, how do we "intercept" the syntax highlighting
> without modifying existing CDT plugins?
>
> Thanks,
> --alex
>
> >Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:22:34 +0100
> >From: Jerome CORRENOZ <jerome.correnoz@xxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Assembly Syntax Highlight
> >To: "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Hi Alex,
> >
> >We are very interested for having such a feature. Do you intend to
> >retrofit this feature or the plugin to the CDT community ?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Jerome
> >
> >Alex Yin wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have a special in-house assembly language with unique syntax,
and I
> > > am working on the task to support its syntax highlighting in CDT
> > > assembly editor. The existing CDT plugin "org.eclipse.cdt.ui"
> > > implements hard-coded assembly syntax highlighting support in
package
> > > "org.eclipse.cdt.internal.ui.editor.asm", class "AsmCodeScanner".
How