RE: [cdt-dev] CDT performance

Doug,

I have a question to you regarding PDOM-related changes in
scanner-parser-indexer chain.

I'm interested in CDT performance and memory consumption problems
(mostly in parser),
so it's interesting how much this part will be modified in nearest
future.

Could you please confirm or deny:

- you know, memory usage is another big problem in CDT - in particular,
  current indexing procedure requires too much memory and crashes
sometimes
  due to OutOfMemory exception (with Mozilla sources on 1Gb, for
example).
  How PDOM will affect this situation ? From the one hand, since header
files
  will not be re-parsed with each translation unit, resulting AST tree
can be smaller
  significantly. (currently it's really huge !) From the other hand,
database server
  (required by PDOM) will consume a lot of memory itself - so, Eclipse
and CDT
  will have less space...

- parser logic itself will be seriously modified for PDOM ? Currently,
parser
  itself does not know about includes - it simply receives tokens from
scanner.

- PDOM usage is optional - so some users will use current indexing
  mechanism, expecially for projects with non-trivial headers contents ?

- although parsing will be used less frequently with PDOM (ideally, once
for
  each file), it will be inevitable when project is first opened - so,
parser
  performance is still significant a bit in this case ?

Thanks in advance.

With best regards, Oleg Krasilnikov
Software designer, Eclipse team.
Intel corp.