Re: [cdt-dev] The Shell Game

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 13:19, Recoskie, Chris wrote:
> So I've been working for the past week or so on getting MBS to build
> files and folders with spaces in them.  I've been largely successful
> thus far, but along the way I ran into some issues which I thought would
> be good to bring up.

Did you think about basing MBS on another build system than make (which
requires shell commands) like SCons? SCons is Python based, and would work
the same on any platform. It may even run in Jython a Java based Python
interpreter.

The reason why I went away from make based builds long ago is that SCons makes
decisions about which files to rebuild based on a MD5 sum instead of
timestamps. This is really useful in evironments where updates from a
repository change the timestamps and your project is large.

If you want to play around with SCons I recommend looking at my SCons Plugin
for the CDT at
http://nic-nac-project.de/~lothar/eclipse/update/SConsBuilderPlugin.html

Lothar
--