Re: [cdt-dev] FYI; Conference presentations

Leo, thanks for posting your slides. I read the quality slides and am in general agreement. Would like to observe, however, that under Usability, setup for large projects can be Poor. At least in our experience at Google this is primarily due to the difficulty of manually entering a myriad of include paths. While the most promising solution for us may be to create a tool which generates the .cdtproject file directly from our dependency metadata, more generally perhaps some clever person can devise a way to interact with the user to update the includes based on errors during parsing.

This single issue is probably the biggest factor in discouraging most new users here from attempting to use CDT.

But more importantly, performance, reliability and functionality of the indexer and the functions which depend on it is actually our biggest problem with CDT, and is the reason very few users, even once they get past the project setup, actually stick with it.

Finally, your last slide asked "What size projects are users developing using CDT?" My current workspace contains about 2,000 .cc and .h files, and references roughly another 1000 .h files that are not in the workspace. This would be fairly typical of projects here. People do sometimes turn off indexing, but then its questionable whether they continue to use CDT at all.

Chip

Treggiari, Leo wrote:

Doug added a link on the CDT main page for conference presentations.

*October, 2005 - CDT Contributors Conference* -- presentations will be made available here <http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/cdt-home/presentations/fall2005/index.html?cvsroot=Tools_Project>.

I’ve added my presentations.

Regards,

Leo