[cdt-dev] FW: The first "slightly disorganized but very useful" Eclipse Languages Symposium

Title: Bjorn Freeman

This is an FYI for all of you CDT conference attendees who are considering attending the Languages Symposium as well.  I was forwarded the information below from someone who responded to Bjorn’s initial mailing.  I sent mail to Bjorn asking to be invited (and I have been).  I also asked him to send mail to Sebastien so that Sebastien could let the rest of you know, but then I remembered that I got an “out-of-office” response from Sebastien earlier this week.  So, here it is.  I guess you need to send mail to Bjorn if you want to be invited.

Leo

From: Bjorn Freeman-Benson [mailto:bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 10:09 AM
To: eaw@xxxxxxxxx; doug.gaff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; mike@xxxxxxxxxxx; bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxx; twagner@xxxxxxx; don.wills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; david.ascher@xxxxxxxxx; Recoskie, Chris; Gingrich, Paul; guy@xxxxxxxx; fabiofz@xxxxxxxxx; dkeefe@xxxxxxx; martin_aeschlimann@xxxxxxxxxx; david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx; shaver@xxxxxxxxxxx; dschaefer@xxxxxxx; Darin Wright; John Wiegand
Subject: The first "slightly disorganized but very useful" Eclipse Languages Symposium

Everyone,
Thanks for the RSVPs.  It looks like we have at least seventeen interested people for this workshop, so we're going to go ahead.  The current attendee list is:
    Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Eclipse    Fabio Zadronzy    (maybe)
    Chris Recoskie, TI                        Guy Harpaz, Zend
    David Ascher, Cisco                     Martin Aeschlimann, IBM
    David Williams, IBM                     Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse
    Derrick Keefe, QNX                    Mike Shaver, Mozilla
    Don Wills                                     Paul Gingrich, TI
    Doug Gaff, WindRiver                  Reggie Reed, Motorola
    Doug Schaefer, QNX                   Tim Wagner, BEA
    Ed Warnicke, Motorola
If you know of other people who would be interested and interesting, please let me know so that I can invite them. The goal is to get a group of smart engineers and researchers together for two days to talk about, and plan the future of, language support in Eclipse.  The symposium will be a very interactive workshop - not a conference with formal papers and lots of bored listeners reading email on their laptops.

The symposium will be held October 27th and 28th at the QNX headquarters at 175 Terence Matthews Crescent, Kanata, ON, Canada. There is no registration fee for this workshop which also means that you're responsible for your own transportation and accommodation. I'll try to put together a recommendations list.

The schedule will be 8:30-5pm on Thursday and 8:30-3ish or 4ish on Friday (it depends on how many people will be taking earlier flights and thus how many people will be left). There were four basic topics suggested for discussion:

  • Eclipse Language Support for dynamically typed languages (Perl, Tcl, Python, PHP, Ruby,etc).
  • Support for writing Eclipse plugins in dynamically typed languages (Python, Ruby, Tcl, etc).
  • Generic compiled language debugging infrastructure and implementation
  • Current state and future of the text and document model in Eclipse

The format I'd like to use is that each attendee puts together a position paper on their topic (or papers on their topics). These are meant to be outlines/discussion starters, not academic papers and they will not be published. We will choose a few of these and then ask those people to moderate discussions around their topic. You might bring a short slide deck around your subject, or better yet a demo, but the idea here is an interactive technically deep discussion not a presentation.  How's about we all get the position papers to me by Friday, October 14th?

--

Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Technical Director, Open Source Process and Infrastructure

voice:

971-327-7323 (PDT, UTC-7)

email:

bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx