From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gaff, Doug
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:14 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] FW: Eclipse Language Symposium Oct 27-28

From: Bjorn Freeman-Benson [mailto:bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 1:19 AM
To: 'Bjorn Freeman-Benson'
Subject: Eclipse Language Symposium Oct 27-28

In conjunction with the CDT team, the Eclipse Foundation would like to invite you to attend an Eclipse Languages Symposium at the QNX headquarters in Ottawa, October 27-28.

Many of you receiving this email have already received invitations from/are planning to attend the CDT workshop October 25-27 - this invitation is for an extension of that workshop to more general language issues. (Mike and I have been talking about having a Symposium but the CDT team beat us to setting it up, and since many of the same people would go to both, why not just schedule them back to back?)

Others of you who are receiving this email have never heard from me before, although you've definitely heard of Eclipse because I found your language project via Google or Eclipse Plugin Central and found it interesting enough to think that we'd all like to learn more and collaborate with you.

In each case, I have sent this email to people in leadership positions (or apparent leadership positions) on the various teams. Perhaps you are not the right person?  If so, please forward this email to, and invite, the various technical people who I should have invited but didn't know their names.

(Also, could Daniel or Sebastien forward this invitation to everyone who is already attending the CDT workshop?)

The goal for the symposium is to get people who are working on language support under the Eclipse platform together in one place so that we can learn what approaches each of us is taking, what pieces might be built in common to support our efforts, and to coordinate (if possible) our projects going forward.

Potential agenda items include:

  • Technical consolidation of language infrastructure? Perhaps compiled languages versus interpreted languages are separate frameworks, but are there common frameworks between e.g. C, Ada, and Fortran in terms of edit, build, and debug?
  • Can we put together requirements/definitions of a language independent build system?
  • What sort of frameworks could we have to support tools that appear to require static type information (code completion, refactoring, etc) for dynamically typed languages?
  • How can we use the existing Eclipse infrastructure (editors, parsers, builders) more effectively for non-Java languages?

I'd like to organize this as follows:

  1. You reply to this email expressing interest. Include a list of topics that you'd like to discuss. Let's get these emails back to me before the end of August.
  2. I'll work with the CDT team to organize an agenda and space at QNX.
  3. I'll send out a schedule with topics and a final invitation with logistics, etc.
  4. The logistics will probably ask you to confirm your attendance so that we can order enough food for lunch, cookies for the afternoon, that sort of thing.

I look forward to your reply...

--

Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Technical Director, Open Source Process and Infrastructure

voice:

971-327-7323 (PDT, UTC-7)

email:

bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx