Re: [cdt-dev] Problem with debugging some running processes

The gdb trace may be helpful. For instructions on how to get it see CDT Debugger FAQ #5.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heiko Jansen" <jansen@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:59 AM
Subject: [cdt-dev] Problem with debugging some running processes

Hi all.

I´ve a problem with debugging certain running processes in CDT.

Our project compiled succesful with -g, the programms can be started and

behave like expected. Nonetheless I wanted to debug some of the running
processes ;-)
For some this worked, while for others I get only the message:

-- snip --
Error creating session: Target is not responding (timed out)

Details:
 Target is not responding (timed out)
   Target is not responding (timed out)
   Target is not responding (timed out)
-- / snip --

after the Debug View showed the [C/C++ Attach to Local Application] for
some
seconds.

The only parameter I changed was the name of the binary.
All processes are multithreaded.

I tried to attach to the problematic processes manually using 'gdb
<path_to_binary> <pid>' and that worked just fine.

I also tried to debug the problematic processes with having them started
by
Eclipse/CDT. That seemed to work but doesn´t really help me since there
are a
number of processes in the project that need to be started in a
well-defined
order.

I didn´t find any explanation for this behaviour so I´m posting this
message
here. Unfortunately I´m quite a novice to Eclipse, C++ programming and
debugging, so please tell me what other info I could provide.
The project source itself is commercial so I can´t post anything of I
here.

I´m using Java 1.5, Eclipse 3.1, CDT 3.0 (tried RC3 and latest
integration
build), gdb 6.3, gcc 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease), SUSE Linux 9.3.

Many thanks
Heiko
--
Heiko Jansen