RE: [cdt-dev] CDT Fall Conference

>>  3:30-4:30 Presentaion:Symbian:who?: Build system requirements
> I assume that these are MBS requirements.  I suggest that I lead a session requesting MBS requirements and anyone that has requirements, > including Symbian, can present them.  If anyone else wants to present requirements, please speak up so that we can know if 1 hour is
> enough.

OK. I think we can have a discussion regarding MBS requirements with Leo in the next few weeks. I do not think that there are many requirements from Symbian's side, except for general improvement suggestions and recent experience from porting our build process to MBS.

> 1:15-2:15 Intertest:symbian: Volunteer? How to contribute to CDT. Symbian is also looking into
> donating some technology, but are unsure about the process, etc.

We have been having an initial discussion with Sebastien Marineau and Bjorn Freeman-Benson regarding this item to get some more information. We will take this further in the next few weeks and will probably have a concrete proposal regarding donation of what we call the Template Engine.This is a template based mechanism to create projects, add items to projects, manipulate projects, etc. that is driven by an XML file for generating wizard pages and a process description which tells the engine how to process the data from the wizard. UI and process side are extensible. Assuming we make sufficient progress in the next few weeks, I could give a presentation with a small demo describing the template engine to check whether there is a case for contributing the template engine to CDT.

Best Regards
-- Lars

"Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggiari@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

17/08/2005 04:54

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] CDT Fall Conference

I have some comments on some of the sessions that I proposed and others:

>  3:30-4:30 Presentaion:Symbian:who?: Build system requirements

I assume that these are MBS requirements.  I suggest that I lead a session requesting MBS requirements and anyone that has requirements, including Symbian, can present them.  If anyone else wants to present requirements, please speak up so that we can know if 1 hour is enough.

>   2:45 -4:15 Intertest:Intel:who?: Discussion of where we think CDT is with regards to scalability and performance.

I would suggest that this be part of  9:00-10:00Presentation: QNX: CDT End User Experience.  I don’t have anything myself to present in this area.  I’m interested in hearing from others what size applications their end users have been successfully developing using CDT.  Are any other companies going to present end user feedback?  If so, maybe one hour is not enough for this.

>  11:15-12:15 Presentaion:Intel:Leo: The possibility of a CDT-Wide concept of a "tool-chain". QNX is interested in working with intel on this presentation.

I’m thinking now of CDT-Wide concepts of “build configuration”, “tool-chain” and “tool”.  I need to put my thoughts down on paper and share them with the QNX folks.  I think this could generate a lot of discussion since it could involve architecture and API changes.  I’m not sure that 1 hour is enough.

>  9:00 -10:00 Presentation:LosAlmos:Craig: Using CDT as a platform for Multi-language support - presentation of work they have done in this area.

I think this could generate a lot of discussion since it could involve architecture and API changes.  I’m not sure that 1 hour is enough.

>  10:15 11:15 Intertest:Intel: volunteer?: Discussion of CDT "singletons" and other CDT architecture topics - I remember a mailing list discussion regarding some aspect of the architecture that Doug questioned.  If we don't talk about this now we may never do it.

This came up in the context of the early discussions of how to turn CDT into a multi-language platform.  There are 3 “architecture” topics that I am interested in:
1.  CDT changes to support Fortran and other compiled languages – this is being covered in other talks
2.  CDT-Wide concepts of “build configuration”, “tool-chain” and “tool” – this is being covered in another talk
3.  Synchronizing project loading so that project files (.cdtproject, .cdtbuild) are loaded before things like indexers, builders, start running – we could talk about this here, or maybe it should be a smaller group…

Thanks,
Leo