RE: [cdt-dev] New and Noteworth Update

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the start on the MBS description - it looks good.

There are 2 additional user-visible new features:

1.  The ability to define a custom build step for any source file in the
project.  For example, a user could add a yacc source file to her
project, specify the yacc command line and the name of the C output
file, and the generated C file will automatically be compiled with the
other C files in the project.

2.  The ability to rename a configuration.  This functionality is part
of the redesigned Manage Configurations dialog box that is displayed by
the Manage... button in the C/C++ Build property page.

Here is a brief description of the new tool integrator features:

1.  Additions to the tool-chain object model to support more complex
tool-chains, particularly regarding the definitions of the inputs and
outputs to a tool.

2.  The ability to define option categories for the entire tool-chain in
addition to per tool.

3.  The ability to define custom "new project" wizard pages.

4.  Additional callbacks to support dynamic behavior, including:
  -  Specifying whether an option is currently visible, enabled, and
used in command line generation.
  -  Specifying whether the tool set used by a tool-chain is installed
on the system.
  -  Defining environment variables and build macros a tool-chain.

5.  A mechanism for supporting multiple versions of a tool-chain.

6.  A mechanism for converting configurations from using one tool-chain,
or a version of a tool-chain, to another.

7.  Extraction of the Gnu tool-chain into its own plug-in in order to
allow the Managed Build System to be packaged without Gnu tool-chain
support when appropriate.