RE: [cdt-dev] Hierarchical "inheritance" of project properties

Hi Norbert,

> we are trying eclipse and CDT on a couple of sources for which
> generation was previously started from the command line (make files).
> When doing it in eclipse we ended up creating about 100 managed make
> projects which have similar, but not quite identical, project
settings.

If the files are the same for all of these projects, I'd suggest that
you use one project with 100 configurations rather than 100 projects
(see below).

> Now if we find that we want to change some of these settings later on
it
> would be convenient to be able to define something like a hierarchy so
> that a change of, say, a compiler switch is immediately propagated to
> all subprojects except for those where the switch value was
"explicitly"
> set differently.
>
> Also it would be nice to have a view where the 100+ projects are not
> simply listed one after the other as in the "C/C++ Projects" or
> Navigator views, but can be structured in a deeper tree.
>
> I wonder whether anything of the sort has been considered before. Can
> anybody point me to documentation / bugzilla / mailing threads where
> this was discussed?

I don't think that Eclipse supports a hierarchy of projects, but I
could be wrong.  We haven't considered a hierarchy of MBS
configurations, but I have suggested the following, which we could
implement in a future release.

The proposal is to add a "category" attribute to a configuration that
could be set by the tool integrator or the CDT user.  The "category"
would be an arbitrary text string that could be used to group
configurations together.  Common examples might include "debug",
"release", "IA32", etc.  The MBS UI would then allow you to select a
set of configurations by category, and modify the values of all of the
configurations in the set in the same manner that you modify a single
configuration now.

Regards,
Leo