RE: [cdt-dev] MBS - Questions to Options and OptionCategories

Hi Lars,

> Do you have any preferences? Note that I prefer the first approach. Also if I went for the first approach, would you be happy if I renamed IOptions::getParent() to getTool().

I suggest the following:

getParent is the common method used by the tool definition elements to return their “build model” parent.  There are a few exceptions when things are a bit more complicated, e.g. OptionCategories.

OptionCategory:  Add a getParent method that returns IBuildObject (either an ITool or an IToolChain).  OptionCategories are unique in that they have both a IOptionCategory “owner” (categories can be nested) and, in 2.1, an ITool “parent”.  Now, they can have an ITool or IToolChain “parent”.  The getTool method should be deprecated.  Search for “deprecated” in ITool.java for examples of how to deprecate a method.  getTool should continue to return the ITool when appropriate, else null.  Note also that Tool.java implements the IOptionCategory interface so that you can get there using getOwner.  IToolChain will need to implement that interface also.

Option:  This is more complicated.  Ideally, I believe that we should change getParent to return an IBuildObject.  This breaks a “public” interface, but we have not documented these interfaces yet.  If anyone disagrees with changing this method’s return type, let me know.

Thanks,

Leo