Re: [cdt-dev] questions about Indexers

Great question, Craig.

So, yes, the DOM Indexer is the new indexer built on top of the new DOM
that we've built in 3.0. Our plan is to retire the "Original" indexer once
we are satisfied that we do not have a major reduction in performance. We
may adjust our meaning of major as we go. The new DOM architecture is much
cleaner and easier to maintain, and we have the ctags indexer if
performance is a big issue for certain users and they don't care about
cross references. That decision will be made before CDT's M7 .

In the meantime, I think it would be fine to raise bugs on the Original
indexer in case we need to keep it going. These bugs would get addressed
after M7, though, if necessary.

Thanks!
Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
Ottawa Lab, IBM Rational Software Division

Craig Chaney <cchaney@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/11/2005 11:59 AM
Please respond to
"CDT General developers list."

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] questions about Indexers

Hi,

I've been playing with CDT 3.0 M6 and I've got some questions about the
different indexers available.

What's the difference beteween the available indexers that one can
choose from the "C/C++ Indexer" project properties page?  I've looked
through the document titled "Indexer Requirements for 3.0".  From that,
and from some comments made in bugzilla entries (e.g. 86280), I'm
guessing that the "DOM AST C/C++ Indexer" is the shiny new indexer for
3.0.  Is that right?

If so, what are the plans for the "Original C/C++ Indexer"?  Will both
of these be available as options when CDT is released or is the original
indexer going away in favor of the new one?

The real reason that I'm asking is that I'm running across some issues
that could be problems in the indexer's parser, and I'm wondering if
opening bugzilla entries would be worthwhile.

For example, if an (alleged) indexer problem only arises using the
original indexer, perhaps a bugzilla entry isn't warranted if that
indexer is no longer maintained.  Also, for problems that do appear with
the DOM indexer, is that indexer mature enough where bugzilla entries
would be helpful?  Or would it be better to wait for one or two more
milestones to see if the issue gets fixed?

Thanks,
Craig

--
Craig Chaney