Re: [cdt-dev] Ada in CDT

cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/21/2005 06:08:34 PM:

> > The main work item I did was to hook up the CEditor to ada files. I
then
> > had to convince it not to run the CModelBuilder on it. I also had to
teach

> Just thinking out loud here, on behalf of no one but myself...
>
> If you really take advantage of JFace Text, editors are extremely
> language-specific -- auto indent strategy, content assist, hyperlinking,

> double click strategy, and of course syntax highlighting.  It's also
> relatively easy to write one (I made a simple but fairly comprehensive
> one with everything but content assist in about 12 hours).  With that in

> mind, if one were to build an editor and corresponding outline view
> independent of the CDT (yeah, that would ignore the model and indexer
> completely), what else would be necessary to give the illusion of CDT
> integration?  (Tool chains, obviously... and?)

True. It shouldn't be hard to create an editor straight from JFace. But
then, why do we not see more of them? Going through the CEditor and
talking to other people who have studied the problem, I'm not sure it
really is that easy unless you've gone through the learning curve. For
example, I found the scanner stuff for partitions and coloring pretty
bizarre. And I'm a parser guy (or maybe it's because I am a parser guy :-)

I have also found that the stuff that people really want are the features
like content assist and code navigation that you only get with good parse
information. My (not so) hidden agenda is to understand whether we have
the right DOM and indexing architecture to support a new language by
simply swapping out the parser and adding a few language specific model
classes. It would be nice if we can get the high value features for
minimal cost as well.

Cheers,
Doug

Back to the top