To: <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:06 PM
Subject: [cdt-dev] RE: Debug API Proposals

Hello  Mikhail,

+1

We currently working on implementing a simulator written in java to
interact
with the CDT UI through the CDI interface. Extra documentation and a
cleaner
interface would be welcome.

Adam Finucane

HI-TECH Software

From: "Mikhail Khodjaiants" <mikhailk@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [cdt-dev] Debug API Proposals
To: <cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Based on the discussions at the EclipseCon and various conference
calls we
are proposing the following changes in the CDT Debug API.

1. Make the CDT extension of the platform Debug API "public".
The API is designed to support the CDT debugger UI. The language
independent part of UI (and the corresponding API) has been gradually
covered by the platform - Registers view, Memory view, Source Lookup
framework, etc. Some of the current CDT UI components - Disassembly
and
Modules view, as well as some language-independent actions can be
contributed to the platform in the future. The API has always been
located
in the "public" packages - org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core,
org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.model and
org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.sourcelookup, but has never been
"advertised".
If the community expresses an interest in these proposals, we need to
clean
it up and provide the complete java docs for it.

2. If the API is approved by the community, the next steps would be
a. refactoring of the C/C++-specific parts
b. extraction of the public abstract (CDI-independent) implementations
of
the debug model elements.

3. The current implementation of the proposed API is based on CDI, so
the
CDI interface is supported and we are planning to support and enhance
it in
the future.

Comments, suggestions?

Mikhail Khodjaiants