[cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-patch] Indexer Patch Resubmit

I guess it is fundamental that way. I do not think that plugins should be
managing/controlling projects.

The questions I have trouble answering are what qualifies something as an
"owner" of a project? Why does standard make and managed make "own" the
project and not the language nature for the project, or some other aspect
of a project? Who would own the project if we made managed make an
extension of standard make as we've discussed in the past? What are the
semantics behind ownership? What problems were we trying to solve by
adding the concept of owner to the CDT?

Projects exist independent of the natures/builders that are attached to
it. In fact, projects own what natures and builders are applied to it. By
having one of the natures/builders owning the project seems to turn this
upside down. This is something that has always bothered me, and I think
I've finally found a concrete reason why. How many owners are going to
forget to upgrade binary parsers and indexers and anything else we add in
the future? Or are there any other owners or is this point moot?

Anyway, this is just my opinion and to change anything now probably isn't
worth it. If it becomes too much of a problem, though, I'd like to revisit
this.

Doug Schaefer
Ottawa Lab, IBM Rational Software Division

Dave Inglis <dinglis@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-patch-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/21/2005 11:06 AM
Please respond to
cdt-patch

cdt-patch@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [cdt-patch] Indexer Patch Resubmit

But they are not just build plugins, they really manage/control the
project itself
(and rightly should, no?). However I do understand your concern and would
like to here any thoughts on improving this (from the soul of course ;-)).