RE: [cdt-dev] Shared Tool Options

Chris,
the intention is to extend the options and optionsCategory scheme such that it can be used to build a UI using the MBS grammar, without being tied to the MBS back-end. This is done by allowing options and optionsCategory elements in the MBS grammar that are not tied to a tool. Thus enabling a tool integrator to re-use the MBS to define a UI, without the UI actually having any effect on what is generated in the makefile.

Callbacks are then be used to transfer information between the back-end and the MBS UI. The back-end may be the build macros back-end or in fact any additional user-defined builder. The advantage of this approach is that the MBS settings look and feel is maintained, while providing more flexibility. Another advantage is the tool integrator does not need to define its own bolt-on UI and does not need to deal with persistence of settings.

Regards
-- Lars

"Recoskie, Chris" <crecoskie@xxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

14/03/2005 12:41

Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Shared Tool Options

> For your usage, you would use build macros in the options to be set
from
> the values of the ToolChain options.  The build macros design will be
> coming soon.  A tool-integration will be able to define build macros
and
> their values.  You would set your build macro values from your
> tool-chain options.

Leo,

I take it then that the toolchain implementer will have to create their
own custom GUI for setting the value of the macro?

While technically macros will let you build with the required settings,
in this case I'm not sure that this is entirely desirable.  Users will
want to edit these options in the build properties.

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer
IDE Frameworks Group
Texas Instruments, Toronto