RE: [cdt-dev] Shared Tool Options

Hi Chris,

>I take it then that the toolchain implementer will have to create their
>own custom GUI for setting the value of the macro?
>
>While technically macros will let you build with the required settings,
>in this case I'm not sure that this is entirely desirable.  Users will
>want to edit these options in the build properties.

The build macros design has the concept of "context":

1.	The currently selected file.
2.	The currently selected option
3.	The currently selected configuration (which includes a
tool-chain).
4.	The currently selected project.
5.	The Eclipse variables
6.	The current workspace.
7.	The CDT and Eclipse installations.
8.	The process environment.

These are in precedence order.

At each context level, there is one or more "supplier", for example:

1.    User
2.    Tool-chain integration
3.    MBS pre-defined

The tool-integration can provide macros and values for the configuration
and project contexts.  The user can provide macros and values for the
configuration, project and workspace contexts.

The MBS defines the callback interfaces that are used by the tool
integration to provide macro values.

The MBS implements the UI that allows the user to provide macro values,
and implements the mechanism to persist the values.  User provided
values override any "supplier" in a particular context.

So, the answers to your questions are:
1.    No, the tool integration does not need to implement a UI
2.    The user will be able to override any value - at their own risk in
some cases...

This design is being worked on by Mikhail Sennikovsky at Intel.  He
should be posting the design soon.

Regards,
Leo

> For your usage, you would use build macros in the options to be set
from
> the values of the ToolChain options.  The build macros design will be
> coming soon.  A tool-integration will be able to define build macros
and
> their values.  You would set your build macro values from your
> tool-chain options.

Leo,

I take it then that the toolchain implementer will have to create their
own custom GUI for setting the value of the macro?

While technically macros will let you build with the required settings,
in this case I'm not sure that this is entirely desirable.  Users will
want to edit these options in the build properties.

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer
IDE Frameworks Group
Texas Instruments, Toronto