From: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of thomas strehl
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 1:01 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] extending the toolchain

Hi,

I extended the toolchain and added my own tool. The tool is called
properly when building a project, so this works. However, I run into
quite some trouble when the target of the makefile is build. The rule
there says that it should simply add all objects. Nothing wrong with
that, but objects generated with my tool are not recognized properly.
The problem is that my tool generates a file with a prefix (output
prefix). However, the objects pulled in the target rule do not reflect
this prefix.

If I have a source file "foo.b", my tool generates "prefix_foo.u". I.e.
that the target step tries to pull in "foo.u" which does of course not
exists.

The stuff which breaks it is in GnuMakefileGenerator. You generate a
rule:

 * Create the pattern rule in the format:
 * <relative_path>/%.<outputExtension>:
$(ROOT)/<relative_path>/%.<inputExtension>

instead it should be:
 * <relative_path>/<outputPrefix>%.<outputExtension>:
$(ROOT)/<relative_path>/%.<inputExtension>

So, in the objects.mk file we should get something like:

OBJS := ... $(B_SRCS:$(ROOT)/%.b=prefix_%.u)

and in the subdir.mk file:

prefix_%.u: $(ROOT)/%.b
	@echo 'Building file: $<'

Another question: Is it possible to add a tool/compiler which generates
something which should not be linked to the target, because the compiler
does not generate any object code?

Kind regards,

Thomas