RE: [cdt-dev] Parser: Include handling

Personally I prefer the way it does it now.

To my mind, the header files should be self sufficient, and if I have
not put enough in a header to make that header fully resolved, legal
C/C++ in its own right, then I should be including other headers from
within that header itself.  The yellow annotations are a cue that I need
to do this.

IMHO, if you have a system whereby you have to know that to use the
functions in foo.c in your own source file, you must #include foo.h,
bar.h, stdio.h, and a whole host of stuff, then your system is not very
well designed.  Sooner or later someone will make the mistake of
thinking they can just #include "foo.h", and lo and behold the system
won't build, and they have to spend valuable time sorting out the mess.
There's really no compelling reason I can see why the original developer
can't just put those includes in foo.h for you.

You can make the argument that for a small enough system and small
enough team of developers, you can just make it work the way you say.
But, having had the experience of working on projects where the lines of
code starts approaching a million, I can say that this design approach
does not scale.

My $0.02

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer