Re: [cdt-dev] Managed make default config

There should be a compromise. This option is always local (or maybe always shareable). The preference value for this option for new project helps to do it more convenient.

Douglas Schaefer wrote:

But then how would you share the options sharing options settings? :-)

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Technical Lead, Eclipse CDT
Ottawa Lab, IBM Canada, Rational Software Division

Alex Chapiro <achapiro@xxxxxxx> Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/06/2005 10:47 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Managed make default config

There is always a conflict between those who need some options to be shareable and those who don't like it. We use preferences/properties setting to define options saving policy.

Douglas Schaefer wrote:

Generally, the .cdtbuild file is stored in source control to share the build setting amongst a team. That would require this file to be
checked
out everytime you change the default.

Probably a better answer is to have better support for a default
default. Right now, the default is the first config it finds in the extension point. Worthy of a bug report and further discussion amongst the build gang.

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Technical Lead, Eclipse CDT
Ottawa Lab, IBM Canada, Rational Software Division

"Tracy Miranda" <TMIRANDA@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/06/2005 10:05 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Managed make default config

Sean,

OK, I see now. Though one issue with that though is sharing projects between users/workspaces will mean the projects always revert back to the default configuration. We've tended to rely on that setting for providing ready-made example projects for users to demonstrate some performance feature such as DMIPS. The projects would be set to Release configs so the users could just import them and run them out-of-the-box. Now this seems like it would have to have a step to switch configs first ?

Any comments as to whether this is a don't care or not for CDT/why the setting was moved/if there's an easy workaround ?

Thanks,
Tracy