Re: [cdt-dev] Parallel Tools

On Dec 21, 2004, at 6:04 AM, Thomas Fletcher wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Fabian Cenedese
Sent: December 21, 2004 2:24 AM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Parallel Tools

Only the best kind of fun though :-)

Excellent news 8-)

We've been slowly "massaging" the base core of CDT/Debug to make
support for this(PTools) possible, but our efforts been ...
"timid".
So to see folks with some good experience on the subject, step in is
encouraging.

Just out of curiosity: gdb is currently not capable of
debugging multi processes. What was intended for debugger?
Extending gdb? Some other debugger? Or only an interface to
connect to each own's proprietary debugger (like gdbserver)?

There is nothing stopping you from running several instances of gdb
and prsenting those multiple instances in a single cohesive interface.
The Eclipse debugger does this today.

This approach works fine if you are debugging a few 10's of processes. However it quickly runs into problems if you want to debug 100's or 1000's of processes. The need to debug such large programs is not as uncommon as you might think, often a parallel program that works for 100 processes will fail for 1000.

To answer the original question, we're unsure as to how we're going to solve this yet. One option might be to include a small stub debugger (like gdbserver) as part of the runtime that is used to launch the parallel processes. Another might be to use gdb (or some other debugger), but provide a scalable communications infrastructure for handling 1000's of connections. This is the approach taken by Intel's idb.

Part of the PTP project will be to investigate the best way to do this.

Greg

Back to the top