RE: [cdt-dev] EclipseCon presentations

Sebastien,

 Here's the entire abstract that we submitted for the BOF session we
were proposing.   The list of topics was a starting point based on our
careabouts but feel free to edit/snip/rework so that it fits into the
current plan.

--------

Audience:  Embedded Debug Tool and  Debugger Implementers

Audience Level:  Intermediate and up

Title:    Embedded Systems with Eclipse/CDT

Submitters:  Martin Imrisek  , Chris Recoskie

On-site Equipment Requirements:

DLP or equivalent projector
WiFi access (would be nice but not essential)
Something like a whiteboard to take notes on
Delegate Prerequisites: NA

Session Description:

This is an opportunity for those who are developing or interested in
developing tooling for the embedded world based on the Eclipse and CDT
to get together with others who are doing the same.  Session will focus
on discussing CDT and how it fits into the world of embedded system
tooling..

Abstract:

Eclipse/CDT is rapidly being adopted as a base for creating IDEs for
C/C++ development including embedded IDEs.  The characteristics of
embedded systems and the needs of embedded systems developers are
different enough from traditional host side development and debugging to
warrant a separate discussions of what is needed from CDT to build
premier embedded development tools.

This session is designed for embedded tooling developers and debugger
developers to get together and discuss and present how they've built
embedded IDE/debuggers with CDT, the challenges they face with CDT for
targeting embedded systems.   It is an opportunity to meet other
embedded tool developers working with Eclipse/CDT, to share requirements
for embedded tooling and exchange ideas on how CDT can be extended to
meet common requirements.

Some possible topics for discussion are:

Debug and Analysis

Limitations of gdb implementation for embedded systems
Debugging without loading programs - i.e image in ROM
Debugging without symbols
Debugging without projects
High performance debugging
Debugging real-time systems - non intrusive debug
CDT and systems with multi-processors and/or multi-address spaces
Connecting to targets non-intrusively
Profiling and trace of embedded systems
Projects and Managed Build

Integrating build tool chains
Projects and managed build support for multiple flavours of an ISA or
device variants - variants of build based on device being built for.
Launch debugger correlation with projects targeting a specific device
type - launching the right debugger based on project properties

--
----
Martin Imrisek <mimrisek@xxxxxx>