Re: [cdt-dev] Notification when Maketarget is done

IProject.build() is documented as long running (blocking), if you are seeing otherwise maybe its not actually building... The background build preference would not have any effect when invoking a build at this API level. Looks like you'll need to dig deeper here.

Dave

cebarne2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

BTW, thanks for the input guys.

I did try the IMaktarget.build() but it seemed to also happen in the
background (perhaps I should investigate this again).  Looking at the
implementation of MakeTarget, build uses a WorkspaceRunnable to do its
work.  It eventually calls project.build() to call the project builder,
which I assume is also sending the work to the background.

So, regardless of what method I choose to build the MakeTarget, will I need
to turn-off the background build preference?

Thanks,

Chad

Dave Inglis <dinglis@xxxxxxx> Sent by: To cdt-dev-admin@ecl cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx ipse.org cc Subject 11/04/2004 09:34 Re: [cdt-dev] Notification when AM Maketarget is done Please respond to cdt-dev@eclipse.o rg

TargetBuild.buildTargets will create its own job and based of preference
setting may return right away (build in background), what you could do
is build the target your self via IMakeTarget.build() as this will block
until the build is finished.

Dave

cebarne2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I just tried join() and it seemed to do nothing to help.

   makeTargetJob().schedule();
   makeTargetJob().join();
   captureConsoleJob().schedule();

This seems to do nothing to delay the second job.

I've also tried setting priorites and that does nothing as well.

I've tried setting rules as follows:

   final MutexRule rule = new MutexRule();
   makeTargetJob.setRule(rule);
   captureConsoleJob.setRule(rule);
   makeTargetJob.schedule();
   captureConsoleJob.schedule();

No luck.  It seems that the makeTargetJob finishes after it calls
TargetBuild.buildTargets() , instead of waiting for buildTargets() to
complete.

Any suggestions?  Being able to wait for a MakeTarget to complete is
critical for this plug-in.

Thanks,

Chad Barnes
Rockwell Collins

            Alex Chapiro

            <achapiro@xxxxxxx

            Sent by:                  cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

            cdt-dev-admin@ecl

cc

            ipse.org

Subject

                                      Re: [cdt-dev] Notification when

            11/04/2004 08:26          Maketarget is done

            AM

            Please respond to

            cdt-dev@eclipse.o

                   rg

Did you try Job.join()?

cebarne2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Is there any way to determine when a maketarget is done?  Or, at least
schedule a maketarget to run (using Job.schedule()), and force other
jobs
scheduled afterward to wait until it is complete?  I am working on a
Build
Manager in Eclipse that will allow a user to stack several different
operations (MakeTarget, External Tool, etc) and it will run them in
turn.
MakeTargets are giving me some trouble because I can't seem to get a
Maketarget to run in serial.  It always seems to run in its own parallel
thread.

I would like to be able to do the following:

makeTargetJob.schedule();
captureConsoleJob.schedule();
makeTargetJob2.schedule();
captureConsoleJob2.schedule();

...and be certain that "captureConsoleJob" will not run before
"makeTargetJob" is finished.

How do I poll the status of a make target?  Or, how can I make it run in
thread of my own design?

Thanks,

Chad Barnes
Rockwell Collins Inc.