Re: [cdt-dev] Eclipse-wide environment variable recognition by sh ell

Actually I believe it is not a big deal to change. On the other hand, do you really need it? Right now, using Spawner.java class execution methods, you can update environment for every external process you launch from Eclipse. The same I can say about ProcessFactory class exec methods. I think it is more precise, targeted method than the global envionment setting.

Fabian Cenedese wrote:

Maybe I don't understand your problem well, but I guess there is almost
all now to set appropriate environment. If your Eclipse  launch script
(or Windows batch file) sets environment variables, javaw inherits them.
They become available through EnvironmentReader. All processes we launch
from Eclipse also inherit this environment. The two major things we lack
are UI for setting additional environment variables and method of
storing these extra settings in environment to make them available to
external tools. Both things are easy to implement. Both of them seems to
be not critical, just an convenience issue.

There was a Java function to set env vars in older Java runtimes but it
was
deprecated. And in newer versions it got lost completely (don't know
about 1.5). So if even the language is missing some functionality you
can't do much in eclipse to solve this. For our current application
(MFC)
it is critical to be able to change env vars on the fly. We have
different
projects which use different tool chains so the path has to be set up
accordingly. This is not possible in Java and therefore eclipse. But
I'd love to learn that it's possible.

bye  Fabi