Re: [cdt-dev] How do I learn to use CDT? (newbie to Eclipse)

Bill,

There aren't any books on the CDT that I'm aware of, although it sounds
like Doug Schaefer is planning one.  There certainly are a lot of Eclipse
books out there nowadays.

I recommend you carefully review the resources on the CDT web site at
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/.  Also, the help included in CDT 2.0 contains
tutorials for getting started.  The CDT should work well with your
Cygwin-based gcc cross compiler, but you'll have to decide if you want to
use a Standard Make project and write your own makefile or if the Managed
Make will address your needs.

Generally speaking, Eclipse is an excellent foundation for a variety of
IDEs and engineering tools, embedded or not.  The CDT is a big step in the
right direction, and Eclipse's powerful tool development environment and
open interfaces allow users to take it pretty much anywhere they want.

Paul

                      William Rivet
                      <William.Rivet@hs        To:       cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      .utc.com>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [cdt-dev] How do I learn to use CDT? (newbie to Eclipse)
                      cdt-dev-admin@ecl
                      ipse.org

                      08/25/2004 11:26
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      cdt-dev

Please feel free to redirect me to a more appropriate list:

I'm new to Eclipse, but from what I've seen of the CDT in my few hours of
tinkering, and Dr. Dobbs Journal articles, I want to learn a lot more about
it.

What resources do you recommend? Are there good books worth buying?

I specifically am interested in setting up an environment for an embedded
development effort. (using GNU CC for PowerPC target)

We develop safety critical code here, so I'm very interested in the parsing
abilities discussed here so that we can generate set-use tables, enforce
coding standards, perform various unit-test related activities, simulation
integration, etc.. None of what I have in mind seems out of reach of
Eclipses' intended use. We have some internal tools that I'd think we would
like to integrate with the environment too, resources willing.

I suppose it's a long shot, but what would you guys recommend? My first
goal is to simple use Eclipse as a development IDE. (i.e. edit files and
drive builds via GNU-CC for PowerPC. We already have the PowerPC toolchain
working via the "cygwin" environment, but of course alternatives are
welcome)

Thanks again!

Bill