Re: [cdt-dev] RH Profiler plugin in cdt

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 20:54, Alain Magloire wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
>   One of the problem for adopting the Profiler plugin
> within the CDT was is strong ties to a specific tool(OProfiler).
> If we can abstract things more, it would make a great addition to the CDT.
> Take the example of the debugger:
>
> Platform/tools Independent parts;
> org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core
> org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui
> Tool(gdb) dependent part:
> org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core
>
> Something similar would be a very good start.

I like the idea and making it more generic is probably a good thing.
However, given the nature of profilers, support for multiple profilers
is a little more difficult than support for multiple debuggers.  Adding
support for other profilers is certainly possible, but it's a lot of
work.  We could seed the project with the current code base and let it
evolve.  If there's demand for support for other profilers, it will
evolve in that direction.  That's the beauty of open source.  What do
you think?

John

Back to the top