RE: [cdt-dev] Progressing towards 2.0 GA

Hi Kleo,

thanks for driving this -- I absolutely agree with your suggestion.The proposal would be to:

- Target the first CDT release candidate for Monday, June 28th. Between now and then, all
CVS commits would have to be for identified 2.0-gating defects and would have to be reported to the CDT
dev list. As of Monday, all commits would stop along and everyone would hammer away on the CDT RC.
One open question is whether we should branch the CDT tree at this point.My suggestion would be to
do so.

- After Monday, only gating critical defects would be fixed. We would follow the same process as
Eclipse for code checkins - Any checkin would have to be submitted to the CDT dev list (as a patch)
for review, along with rationale, criticality, and bug ID. Commiters could veto the fixes if we deem them too
risky or inappropriate.

- We spin a second release candidate (if needed) on Wednesday, soak in it, and declare it GA if
no stoppers are found, else we go through the RC cycle again.

How would this work for everyone? There is definitely a lot of interest and desire from everyone to have CDT
GA at the same time as Eclipse 3.0, and this would put us within a few days. While CDT 2.0 will not be
perfect, we can document known issues and limitations and address them in upcoming releases.

As a follow-up, we can have a separate discussion on the definition and timing of what will go into 2.0.1 and 2.1.
I'll send a follow-up to your email, Kleo, with some proposals and we can discuss from there.

Thanks,

Sebastien