[cdt-dev] Linked folder

Leon,

I have asked this question before.  Please review my post at:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg02024.html

I don't recall getting a response on the mailing list, but I did in one of
the monthly CDT teleconferences.

Turns out the CDT team has the same issues with linked resources and they
are aware that it likely will not function across linked resources.  I
invite the CDT team to please elaborate on this.

We've come up with a workaround.  As you know, with linked resources you
can never gaurantee where the resource will reside.  And make.exe runs on
the filesystem structure, not the Eclipse logical structure.  Complicating
the matter is certain versions of make.exe do not support drive letters
(Win32), so you cannot use explicit paths.  What we have done is to require
any project using linked resources to ensure that the target for all links
share the same root.

For instance, I need dirA, dirB, and dirC in my project.  The file system
looks like this:

C:\
--dirA
--otherSrc
----dirB
--localSrc
----temp
------dirC
--MyProject
----.project

Eclipse would look like this:

MyProject
--dirA (=> C:\dirA)
--otherSrc (=> C:\otherSrc)
--localSrc (=> C:\localSrc)

We also require that the build folder reside within one of the linked
resources.  This way, when you run make.exe from the build folder, it can
get to all the necessary files using the same relative path information as
if it were running in the logical Eclipse structure.

I can not confirm this will work with the CDT managed make.  Because of
other limitations of the CDT managed make, we have implemented our own
managed make plug-in.

I hope this helps in your development,

Chad Barnes
Rockwell Collins Inc.