[cdt-dev] Curious 404's on CDT web content

Hi folks,

I got the following email from webmaster regarding missing URLs in our web
pages.
It looks like for some reason, someone is trying to download one of the
builds (in
this case it was an april 2.0 build), probably through the update mechanism,
and the build
is not there anymore.

Since more than one source has been hitting this, any ideas on what it could
be?
Maybe a bug in the update infra that keeps trying to fetch a jar in a loop
if the file
does not exist? Or someone doing automated testing of the update infra?

Mike would appreciate any thoughts people have in solving this mystery :-)

Sebastien

Sebastien,

We have been dealing with a very large number of accesses on our
download servers recently. In examining the logfiles I found that more
than one person has tried to access two of your jar files with no
success (404). In itself this isn't a big deal, but these requests are
happening multiple times PER SECOND and can last for many minutes
(thousands of hits). From the logfile:
HOSTNAME-REMOVED - - [26/May/2004:16:03:52 -0400] "GET
/tools/cdt/updates/builds/2.0/features/org.eclipse.cdt.source_2.0.0.20040427
1437.jar
HTTP/1.1" 404 1056 "-" "Java/1.4.2_04"
HOSTNAME-REMOVED - - [26/May/2004:16:03:52 -0400] "GET
/tools/cdt/updates/builds/2.0/features/org.eclipse.cdt.source_2.0.0.20040428
0300.jar
HTTP/1.1" 404 1056 "-" "Java/1.4.2_04"

The client string ("Java/1.4.2_04") might imply that this is an Ecvlipse
Update process. Can you offer any suggestions for tracking this down?

Thanks,
	--Mike

--
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx