Re: [cdt-dev] New generated makefile pattern

Chris,
What is still TBD is to figure out what interface the makefile generator and dependency calc should support. For the generator, I am thinking that the builder will simply:

figure out what makefile generator to use for the target type from the toolchain spec
instantiate it by creating an executable extension that implements the IMakefileGenerator interface
call regenerateMakefiles or generateMakefiles(IResourceDelta) depending on the type of build (so these two methods must be in the IMakefileGenerator IF)
invoke make
call generateDependencies on the IMakefileGenerator (which may be a NOP if the toolchain has its own way to calculate them)

There will probably need to be a couple more helper methods like getTopBuildDirectory and getMakefileName()  (so make can be called with the right args). The interface can be refined after 2.0 based on the needs of the development community.

We might also want to have a plugable make comand so that other types of make utilities can be specified for a toolchain.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Chris Songer <songer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/19/2004 02:03 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] New generated makefile pattern