RE: [cdt-dev] One more question about Managed builder

Precisely.
You create a list for static libs and one for dynamic. The static list control has the command '-Bstatic -l' and it prepends this to every element in the list when asked for the option contents. The downside to this approach is that the command line looks like -Bstatic -llib1 -Bstatic -llib2, but I suspect that -Bstatic -llib1 -llib2 is just syntactic sugar for that command anyway.

I am not averse to a custom option, or allowing implementers to optionally define a custom UI element for a default option type, I just want to keep the number of option types under control, and I want to try as much as possible to maintain a design that allows people to implement a toolchain with little or no Java coding. Having discussed this with Jeremiah, Leo, and to some extent, Chris, I now think that a basic toolchain should be implementable without Java, but that this design principle should be relaxed for advanced build model elements.
Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

"Recoskie, Chris" <crecoskie@xxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/14/2004 10:07 AM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] One more question about Managed builder

I think the idea Sean is proposing is to have two separate list
controls;  one for the static libs, and one for the dynamic libs.  You
would specify the linkage type just by putting the library in the
appropriate list.

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer
IDE Frameworks Group
Texas Instruments, Toronto

That
> >said, it seems as though you want a pre-prefix, like
-B<static|dynamic>,
> >followed by the contents of the list. The string option now allows
you
> >to specify
> >
> >Could you live with the prefix for each item being -Bstatic -l, so
that
> >the output would be -Bstatic -llib1 -Bstatic -llib2 ... -Bdynamic
-llibN
> >...? If so, then a list control will work for you.
> >
> >We could add a custom option type that a toolchain implementer could
> >define, but before we take that route, I want to make sure there is
no
> >other way to solve the problem.  As a design principle, I do not want
> >see an explosion of option types to handle every possible output
case.
> >It will make it hard to support the build model going forward and
there
> >is a UI component to consider as well. Currently, the UI builds
itself
> >based on the option description. String options are displayed in an
> >entry field, list options in a ListControl, and so on. If we do
> >introduce a custom option, then the implementer of that option is
going
> >to have to supply the UI element (FieldEditor) that represents the
> >contents in the option graphically.
> >
> >I could live with that with some reservations, not the least of which
is
> >that we surrender some control over the UI look-and-feel to the
> >implementer of the custom option. Of course, this type of option is
> >likely to appear only in a commercial product so the implementer will
> >have a strong incentive to test properly. My other concern is that it
> >forces the implementer to write Java code, but again, only advanced
> >users would take advantage of this and you can (theoretically)
implement