Re: [cdt-dev] One more question about Managed builder

Alex,
I don't think any of the existing option types will output the line you are looking for. The list option probably comes the closest, since it will always append a specified prefix to each element it contains. That said, it seems as though you want a pre-prefix, like -B<static|dynamic>, followed by the contents of the list. The string option now allows you to specify

Could you live with the prefix for each item being -Bstatic -l, so that the output would be -Bstatic -llib1 -Bstatic -llib2 ... -Bdynamic -llibN ...? If so, then a list control will work for you.

We could add a custom option type that a toolchain implementer could define, but before we take that route, I want to make sure there is no other way to solve the problem.  As a design principle, I do not want to see an explosion of option types to handle every possible output case. It will make it hard to support the build model going forward and there is a UI component to consider as well. Currently, the UI builds itself based on the option description. String options are displayed in an entry field, list options in a ListControl, and so on. If we do introduce a custom option, then the implementer of that option is going to have to supply the UI element (FieldEditor) that represents the contents in the option graphically.

I could live with that with some reservations, not the least of which is that we surrender some control over the UI look-and-feel to the implementer of the custom option. Of course, this type of option is likely to appear only in a commercial product so the implementer will have a strong incentive to test properly. My other concern is that it forces the implementer to write Java code, but again, only advanced users would take advantage of this and you can (theoretically) implement a toolchain without using a custom option.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Alex Chapiro <achapiro@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/13/2004 06:09 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[cdt-dev] One more question about Managed builder

I'm just looking for the method how to define  such an option as this
one for an import libraries list (see ld) :

-Bstatic -llib1 -llib2 ... -Bdynamic -llibN ... -Bstatic ...
I cannot imajine anything but simple 'string' option, which is not very
convinient.
If I don't miss something, I think this is one more argument for
existing of custom option categories.