[cdt-dev] How the managed build system will deal with built-in include paths and symbols

Hi All,
This is a message for people working on the managed build system. Rather than duplicating this discussion in two places, I would like to invite anyone who is interested in the managed build system and how it deals with compiler built-in paths and symbols to make comments in Bugzilla Bug 44279  "Include Paths & Toolchain Path Settings". It contains a suggestion to use IVariables to encode the roots of paths in the manifest, an alternative suggestion to extract these values by parsing the output of a compilation, and a hybrid approach that involves both. What I am looking for is feedback from people who have thought through the challenge of implementing their own build tools in the managed build system, and whether one approach would be easier for you to implement for your tools. For example, any solution that relies on the output of a build to resolve variable values requires that there be some way to convince the compiler to tell you what those values are, either via the command line or a settings file you can read in, etc.

Anyway, I don't want to influence the discussion before it starts. Please give the proposals some thought and weigh-in with your own opinions. Thanks,

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to the top