Re: [cdt-dev] New class wizard

Hello Alex,

Just a quick background about the new class wizard. It was developed last release in just three weeks. The goal was to develop a not too sophisticated wizard that could be used by most people to create a simple class. The plan was to add more features to it later as required.
It was not included in the test plan for lack of resources and time. It was only tested briefly to make sure there are no assertions in the main success paths.
In this release, there are plans to enhance the new class wizard and solve its problems. So please for every comment you have below raise a bugzella defect. Check the defects assigned to me to avoid duplication of bugs. My plan is to start working on all bugs and enhancement request right after content assist implementation is done.
One comment though, I would think carefully before adding multiple and virtual inheritance as it complicates the wizard a bit. I have also noticed that in the latest MS Visual Studio, the new class wizard only accepts one parent class.

Thanks,
Hoda Amer
Staff Software Engineer
Rational Software - IBM Software Group

Alex Chapiro <achapiro@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/08/2004 04:59 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[cdt-dev] New class wizard

I tried to play with a New Class wizard. Here are a few questions about
its functionality.
1)How to define multiple inheritance? It's not obvious from the dialog.
2)How to specify virtual inheritance?
3)  I  created class A , then started to create class B. Doing that, I
used option Link to file, but instead of using Browse button I typed it
manually, say A.h and A.cpp (the same files as I created for class A. If
then I press OK, it displayed Error dialog (absolute path should be
used). Then I unchecked Link to file option and pressed OK once again.
This time it took my "wrong"  file names and used them for new B class.
After that in cpp file I had:

#include "A.h"

A::A()
{}
A::~A()
{}
#include "A.h"

B::B()
{}
B::~B()
{}

4) How to create extension other than cpp? h? Is there a way to specify
struct instead class?
5)If I try to use base class field, it works if I type base class name
manually. But clicking the Browse button  always shows me empty dialog.
What's wrong?
6) Could it be useful to have an option to automatically add  at the top
of the file copyright message, specified by user?
7) Often if then I try to save both files (A.cpp and A.h), I get error
message "Save could not be completed. Reason: has been changed in the
file system". Of course I didn't touch files using external tools (maybe
this behaviour depends. on Eclipse and JDK versions, I didn't try all
combinations).
8) After described manipulations IDE shows wrong outline:
In file A.cpp:
#include "A.h"

C::C()
{}