[cdt-dev] C hoverhelp / C completion collision

Folks, we have a problem.

For several months now, I've been working on a C hoverhelp capability for CDT. This process gets kicked off when DefaultCEditorTextHover.getHoverInfo() is invoked. From there, I've been kicking off my own CTextHoverContributorManager to look up the help information and return it to getHoverInfo() for display.

The problem is that in the latest CDT, the exact place in the code I've been using to hook CTextHoverContributorManager is now occupied by something called CCompletionContributorManager.

Completion and TextHover aren't the same thing. Completion is (I think) an active request by the user (banging ctrl-something, I think), whereas TextHover is just passively parking the pointer on a text string. Are both of these events really supposed to get to getHoverInfo()? If so, how does getHoverInfo() figure out why it was invoked and, accordingly, whether to run completion stuff or hoverhelp stuff?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Chris Moller
Senior Hacker
Red Hat, Inc.