Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 2.0 M5 and Eclipse compatibility

> --=_mixed 000D657685256DE1_=
>
> Well, I didn't get much response from anyone other than our friend Ed. So,
> sitting around today, I have managed to get CDT 2.0 up and running on the
> latest Eclipse 3.0 nightly build. The fine people of the Eclipse Platform
> have added some utilities that quickly convert plugins to make up for the
> Eclipse platform changes. This works especially using PDE containers
> (which I notice are working well in 2.1.2 but still have issues in 3.0). I
> then ran into an API change where openEditor now requires the extension id
> of the editor you want. Luckily there's a utility to find the default
> editor for a given filename. Plus I ran into the usual use of internal
> interfaces which disappeared but have good alternatives. All API change
> effects were to org.eclipse.cdt.ui and I have attached a patch.
>
> All in all, I was able to create a new project, create a new class with
> the new class wizard, and debug with stop on main. I couldn't get
> breakpoints to work. This was all with mingw.
>
> In the end the changes weren't that bad but they do break compatibility
> with 2.1.x.
>
> So, do we go for it? Get on to 3.0 now. Or wait?
>
> I vote go now. We have a ton of work to get the CDT working nicely on 3.0.
> The sooner we start the better. Plus the latest 3.0 build seems to be
> pretty stable despite the major changes to the platform.

How about wait 'till M5 comes out and do the move with M5.
M5 should be out 21 Nov. IIRC and should provide a solid ground.

On the same note, I've a couple of requests from partners(QNX, TimeSys, ..)
to move some patches/features/fixes to 1.2.  That should not affect any move
to Eclipse-3.0 since they are specific features.

Back to the top