Re: [cdt-dev] Changed the target milestone for unresolved defects from "--" to 2.0

We should be using "priority" to determine which defects will get addressed when. One standard & simple way to manage defects is to have them all targeted to the upcoming release, and those that don't get addressed (lower priority) get moved to the next release when its opened up.  Its very useful to be able to look at the pile of defects still unresolved as we contemplate wrapping up a release. Also, its safer, and makes querying and reporting on defects simpler. If there are defects that we know without a doubt will NOT be fixed in the 2.0 stream, the other choices are to:

   a) leave the target as "---" : that's sloppy, no differentiation from defects that have simply not been triaged

   b) set target to "Future": that can lead to confusion because "future" is relative to the moment its set.  When you move on to 3.0, does a defect marked "future" mean its should be left to 4.0?

  c) mark defect as Resolved with resolution = LATER. Just as dangerous as setting the target milestone to future, plus now we have to filter these out from resolved defects that have actually been fixed on queries and reports.

So when a new defect comes in, set the target to the upcoming release, and lower the priority if its not critical to fix. If its a serious defect that we are deferring, the severity will reflect that and grab attention as we close the release. As part of the ongoing work I'm doing to organize the defects, I am planning to set the priority of all unresolved defects to reflect their severity, and if there are some we intentionally plan to defer, we can lower them (its a good thing to go out of our way to do that and call attention to these!)

Kleo

John Camelon/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/30/2003 10:01 AM

Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Changed the target milestone for unresolved defects from "--" to 2.0

> I'm assuming some of the recent defects opened are targeted for the
> 1.2 stream, even though the target milestone field was left blank as
> by default. Rather them leave them as blank, I've moved them to 2.0
> with the rest of the open defects.

What do we do with enhancements/features that we do not plan to fix in
2.0 then?  I think its misleading to put them in 2.0 in those cases ...

JohnC