[cdt-dev] Major C++ editing shop-stopper

I'm just checking out Eclipse2.1.1 and the CDT plugin for the first time, evaluating
if I should switch from JEdit yet.
I noticed a couple things (which perhaps are addressed in later versions) which make it
impossible for me to edit C++ files in eclipse and run executables
(or perhaps I don't know how to make it work).

1) Since the introduction of the C++ standard library (STL etc.), modern C++ header files have no extension (it is a dubious idea to be storing file content meta-data as part
of the file's name anyway).
If I open such a file in eclipse, it doesn't recognize it as a C++ file. I haven't figured out
how to make eclipse choose the C editor for such files.
JEdit seems to recognise the files as C++, but that is possibly due to the emacs meta-data
comment (i.e. the '-*-c++-*-' string embedded in the header comments)

2) I can't seem to make the Run.. command run my executables. They are outside the source tree and I refer to them via an absolute path, but the dialog insists that the
command doesn't exist.

3) Under Redhat 9, GNOME with autofocus, the ecplise windows always raise
themselves on focus enter - which is very annoying and sometimes they get into
an infinite loop of raising and lowering with respect to other windows.
(I guess that is not a CDT problem though).

Just some input from a novice eclipse/CDT user.
I'll give 3.0 a try when it is release and re-evaluate .
Cheers,
-David Jung.

Back to the top