Re: [cdt-dev] Communication with the compiler

Definitely an interesting idea.  I'm not sure whether we can bank on
compiler developers doing this for us, though.

In the short term, i.e. CDT 1.2, we will need to put in an extension point
for error parsers so that it is much easier to add new ones in, and
localized compilers is a great example of that.

In the long term, I would like to see an internal build system that
invokes build commands directly, instead of just calling make.  The
problem with invoking make is that we have no idea which tool is actually
sending back the messages (well we can make intelligent guesses, but...).
With an makeless build, handling of feedback from the build tools can be
more robust and customizable, including any out-of-band communication
channel they may provide.

Thanks,
Doug

Johan Walles <d92-jwa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/27/2003 06:25 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] Communication with the compiler

Currently, the CDT parses the human-readable output from the compiler and
creates tasks out of those.  There are a couple of problems with this
approach:

1. If the compiler output is localized (like in newer gcc:s), the error /
warning classifications (and possibly other parts of the message parsing)
will
break.

2. If some sort of "quick fix" machinery is ever to be implemented for the
CDT,
the CDT needs to understand what the compiler is complaining about.  If
the
compiler's error / warning messages get modified / localized, that
understanding
will break.

In the long term, I think this will have to be dealt with in some way. One
way
may be to ask the compiler developers for some kind of "machine interface"

similar to what gdb provides currently.

Any other ideas?

I'm trying to bring this up early enough that if some sort of support from
the
compiler developers is deemed to be helpful, they will have some time to
do
something about that.

   Cheers //Johan