Re: [cdt-dev] Re-structure of CDT's Unit test project(s)

If no-one else objects, I'll commit a new core.tests plugin @ 1 PM EST this afternoon for Brent.

JohnC

"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/05/2003 09:56 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Re-structure of CDT's Unit test project(s)

> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
> --=_alternative 0079472E85256D3C_=
>
> Hi CDT Dev,
>
> I've been playing around in my own environment, and I would like to
> propose a little restructuring of the Unit tests in CDT (starting with
> org.eclipse.cdt.ui.tests=OEC.ui.tests).
>
> 1) Presently OEC.ui.tests includes a lot of tests of OEC.core; these
> should be separated to their own project OEC.core.tests.
> As necessary other test projects should be similarly created as necessary.
>  In the long-term, this would mean that every plug-in has its own test
> plug-in; in the immediate short-term, we need only one more plugin:
> org.eclipse.cdt.core.tests.
>
> 2) The internal structure of these *.tests projects could be shuffled
> around such that:
> a) the test classes reside in a package hierarchy that mimicks the source
> files they test
> b) any supporting uncompiled files (eg input files for the parser) reside
> in a parallel hierarchy
> c) any supporting java files (eg frameworks) reside in their own package
>
> The intent of all of this is to make it easier to keep tests up-to-date,
> and easier for a new contributor to figure out where and how to add new
> tests.
>
> This topic is becoming more relevant as we start to increase our
> soon-to-be-automated regression tests by adding more unit tests.
>
> Any thoughts, or objections?

None, if you are voluntaring to do it 8-)
It is a good idea.